Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tuesday, September 21

First day out of the ICU – and it is so nice to be “unhooked”! No more IV's! (Still a picc line, but no tethers!) Sydney had a great day today, she was feeling much better (no stomach pain).

The rehab director told us Sydney would enter rehab either Wednesday or Thursday. Sydney is excited. The director explained that the amount of time in rehab completely depends on the individual situation, but it may take about 3 weeks to learn wheelchair skills and basic self-care skills (getting dressed, getting out of bed into the chair, getting to the shower, etc.) If Sydney shows promise with leg mobility, it will take much longer to work on mobility and walking skills. We told her we are expecting a longer rehab! :)

Sydney's aunt brought a nice framed verse from the hymn “How Firm a Foundation”:

Fear not, I am with thee oh be not dismayed

For I am thy God and will still give thee aid

I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand

Upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand.”


Everyone seems so inspired and provides such strength and encouragement!

We have teased Sydney about how she will set off the airport security system with her new titanium back; and after we took a peak at her incision today, we teased her about having a giant zipper on her back! The incision is down the entire length of her back and is stapled together, so it looks like a big zipper!

When physical therapy came, they found some response in Sydney's hip flexors and quads, and ability in her left foot to slightly flex and extend (with intense concentration – what a workout!!). She is continuing to struggle with her right foot, and cannot wiggle her toes or move her foot. They encouraged her to continue working on it. When a nerve pathway is damaged, it is sometimes possible for the body to create a new pathway. (You could focus your prayers on this). Sydney practiced sitting again today – she is getting good at it!

We hung up a bright, colorful poster the young women in Sydney's neighborhood made for her, and Grandma read her notes, letters and comments you have all sent in, which even made Grandma cry! Thank you for the great support!

Yesterday Sydney was cheered up by a visit from Bishop Starley, and today we were grateful for a visit from President Glade, who shared an inspiring story, some wonderful counsel, and gave her a wonderful blessing.

Thanks everyone! More tomorrow!

8 comments:

Cyndy said...

Sydney, I'm so happy to hear about all the progress you're making already! You are truly amazing! I think about you all the time and pray for you always!

The main thing that keeps going through my mind, is your testimony. I just keep thinking about how you've always had such a strong testimony and how that will pull you through this. I know that you know that Heavenly Father and Jesus love you. I know that you know that They have a plan for you and that this is part of that plan. I know that you know that They have and will continue to help you through this.

Sydney, you are such a strong person, and I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus have full confidence in you and your ability to handle this trial in your life. They know that you'll make the world a better place because of it and help Them further Their work in this life through this experience.

I love you so much and will continue praying for you!

Much love,
Cyndy Woodman

Anonymous said...

Sydney!

This is Natasha from junior miss:) I just wanted to let you know that I love you so much just like so many people do! All us girls from junior miss and our gabey Gabe are going to visit you when we are able to! So be expecting us! We have been praying for you and some of is fasted for you on Monday! Your girls got Yo back and never forget it! So keep bein strong and come home to us soon becuase holy heck do I miss seeing your beautiful face in chemistry!!! Kk again I love you! Hang in there and see you soon!:)

Dave and Kris Albrecht said...

Sydney, We keep posted on how you are doing from your grandmother and Gena. What an ordeal you are going through. With all of the people fasting and praying for you and with your hard work and determination, there will be a positive outcome to this. Stay determined and keep working hard and soon you will see even more progress.

Mary Bonham said...

SYDNEY!!! This is Heidi. I am sooo glad that you're doing okay! You had me worried, girl! I talk to Colby in Health class about you and he says you are doing so well. It's fun hearing McKenzie talk about you in class. She cares about you so much. :) Well, I'm so proud of you! You are so strong and brave! I just love you to death! Keep going! You're doing great! I'll see you soon!
Love, Heidi
P.S. Kelli and I are working on a surprise for you... so be excited. :D

Cheryl Norman said...

Sydney, We are praying along with many others for your full recovery. You are an example to all of us of courage and faith. We miss seeing you at Subway Sandwiches--so we took something there that your co-workers will bring to you. Much, much love and musically yours,
Garth and Cheryl Norman

Mary Bonham said...

You know, Sydney, I notice I can push myself more in daily tasks because I think of you and the hard work you are doing everyday. You give me courage to work hard, too! I am sure glad your bloating pain is gone! That hurts like the dickens!

Julia Larsen said...

dearest sydney,
i'm so glad to hear about all your wonderful progress!! i say about five prayers for you a day, and every time i think about how hard you're working and how strong you are you make me want to be a better person even more than usual. since we haven't gone to see another movie yet, i might just have to stop by and see you instead. i love you so much sydney! stay strong and stay beautiful!
love...
julia. :)

Heather Berube said...

You're in our thoughts and prayers! Just keep singing and everything will work out!